Week 11

Through these 10 weeks Xmas homework, I have a preliminary understanding of various roles in the film industry, some of the roles I have known and tried before, but some of the roles i heard for the first time, so after i did all the researches of these positions, i have a new understanding of my career and a new plan for the next step when i graduate. I divide my career into three different terms and three different roles to play in each term so that i will have a clear goal to reach.

In the short-term, which is when i just graduate, i prefer to be a Runner. In the very beginning of my thinking is trying all the different roles in Film industry so that i can know how each department work and how a company work. So Runner is a perfect role to help me understand each crew’s duty and i will find a role which can be matched and suit for myself during this time. Also, to be a Runner, you are not only can study from people in different departments, but also you will have some communication with them and if you have a good relationship with them , they will share some work experience with you for sure, this is very important for me because these can save you a lot of detours and these are experience which you can’t learn by yourself. Therefore, Runner is a good choice to me and i need to be more active in the company.

In the early mid-term, i will still do some entry levels such as Prep Artist or Layout Artist (VFX), because for now, i am still thinking about doing post-production or CG, i like CG but i am not very confident in my abilities, but for the post-production, i believe i can play this role well, so in order to connect better of CG works and compositing, i will try these two different roles first to get some ideals and also this role will help me to understand and use CG software proficiently. In the Mid-term, i want to do Look Development Artist. I like texturing, after i create a model and give some textures on it, it will look different and active, i like the feeling of this, not only has a sense of accomplishment, but also accurately reflects the character’s personality. Look Development Artist is not an entry level, so to reach this level, i will have a great portfolio to show and have a rich experience so that i will work in high quality and high efficient.

Prep Artist
Look Development Artist

In the long-term, i want to have my own VFX company or VFX studio so that i can use my style to create and make something. A good team not only requires many excellent members to join, but also has a unique style and perspective on the film industry, so i still believe ideal is the first point before we start, and to set up a company or studio, this is what i need to be considered. Before that, i need to understand the tasks and responsibilities of each roles and do as much roles as i can during this time so that you will be able to lead a team and assign tasks to everyone. But if i still work in a company, i want to do VFX Supervisor or Effect technical director, because i still like making something unreal and at that time, i believe i will have rich experience and able to use software skillfully. Also, both of these roles are all need to have a good leadership and i believe i can do it well and make the team more cohesive.  

VFX Supervisor
Effect technical director

So this is a plan of my career and it just a first step. It may be changed in the future because there are many things happened suddenly and we can’t control, but this is my general direction and i will do my best to follow this direction and keep going.