Thesis Proposal Survey

In week 4, I create a survey and it is about “Interactive Movie and Narrative games”. In this survey, I have listed 20 questions and these data can give me a future understanding of this thesis.

Survey Questions:

• 1. In an event, do you prefer to be the leader or just let it flow?
  • 2. Are you a person who likes to make decisions?
  • 3. What kind of movies do you like to watch?
  • 4. What kind of games do you like to play?
  • 5. Have you seen interactive movies?
  • 6. Have you ever played a narrative game?
  • 7. Do you feel a strong sense of substitution?
  • 8. Are you interested in them?
  • 9. If you try, will you watch the game over and over again to experience different endings?
  • 10. Do you think it’s a waste of time to play these?
  • 11. Do you think watching a movie should be leisurely or should you choose the direction of the story like an interactive movie?
  • 12. Do you prefer to pursue excitement and freedom or focus on storytelling and multiple endings?
  • 13. Do you think good work attracts you with a good story or good interaction?
  • 14. For interactive movies, would you consider it a movie or a game?
  • 15. To experience interactive movies and narrative games, which one would you choose?
  • 16. If the movie could be interactive, what kind of interaction or effect would you like to add?
  • 17. Are you willing to buy such games?
  • 18. Do you prefer to experience it yourself or watch the streamer play it rather than watch the game commentary?
  • 19. Have you seen or experienced similar works?
  • 20. Will you get any inspiration from these works?

So far, I have received 22 participants’ results, and through their results, I can summarize some phenomena which I didn’t expect before and also some helpful points to use in my research.

The following images are some of the results of all 22 participants, the average time that everyone takes this survey is around 4 minutes, which means they are not very confident of every question’s answer, and through some of these answers, I can see that they do not know much about narrative games and interactive movies.

Average time of this Survey

In these circle maps, blue is the positive answer green is the neutral answer, and yellow presents the negative answer. Overall, these maps can tell me that of these 22 participants, most of them like and are willing to play Narrative games and Interactive Movies.

In the upper image, I have asked them do they like making decisions? Have they ever played or watched these games and movies? Will they put effort into these works? And have they ever heard some of these works? The good thing is over half of them like to make decisions and they are willing to put effort into these works.

In the second part, I start to ask some specific questions such as do you want to buy some of these products? Do you think this form of work will appear in the future or not? Do you prefer to experience it yourself or watch the streamer play it rather than watch the game commentary? Through these questions, some of them will start “swing left and right”, and they don’t know the exact answer they want. Also, not many people want to buy these products which mean they just want to try them and are not sure if they like them or not.

In the next step, I will summarize them and deeply think some of the answers to getting some more information and issues.